To promote the health, safety, and general welfare of Highland Village's residents, Highland Village's Code Enforcement Division proactively enforces Highland Village's Property Maintenance Code. This code applies to all existing structures, including both residential and non residential properties. As a property owner, you are responsible for maintaining your property's structures and premises in accordance with this code.
Maintain your property in good condition:
- Do all repairs in an approved manner, using proper materials in accordance with all applicable codes.
- Keep the exterior of the building structure free of broken glass, loose roofing and siding shingles, peeling paint, and crumbling stone or bricks.
- Maintain doors and windows, including storm doors and screens, in good working condition. Functional doors and windows may be critical in emergency situations.
- Maintain property free of rodents and parasites.
- Keep all yards or lots free of unsightly materials, debris, and junk materials which may cause fire hazards or may act as breeding places for vermin and insects.
- Properly dispose of garbage and rubbish in containers with lids. Don't place garbage or trash receptacles at the curb earlier than one day prior to scheduled pick-up. All containers must be returned to their original storage place within one day after pick-up.
- Cut and trim all trees, weeds, hedges, shrubbery, and underbrush abutting on the streets or sidewalks. Provide at all times a clear passage of eight feet above the sidewalks and 14 feet above the street.
- Properly maintain all vehicles. It is against the law to keep or store any vehicle on either a public street or on a private property which is not operable or which does not have a current license plate and/or a current registration.
Property Maintenance Complaint
If you would like to make a property maintenance code complaint, contact a City code enforcement officer at (972) 899-5092.